Pidjanga

(Glossogobius giuris) is a freshwater fish native to Mainit Lake. It is called “biya” in Tagalog and “white goby or tank goby” in English. The term “pidjanga” is also sometimes fondly used to refer to the Mainitnons, the people of the Municipality of Mainit, a town in Southern Philippines. This blog hopes to capture potentials of Migrants Pidjangas for the Development of our Town by attempting to document development issues, folk stories, and current concerns, about the Pidjanga — both the fish and the people.

Pangisda: LAJA


Laja-- amora nan pokot na porma nan muskitero (mosquito-net), pan-Pidjanga sanan Tilapia.

Pidjanga notes: Break anay kita sa election hu.

I've given up to temptation. I just got a whole set of lake fishing gears... one fishing pumpboat (10-15 seater with 9-caballos engine), 2 sets of laja (40ft x 40ft each), and a set of pokot (around 300 meters long). I initially planned to get a small boat (baroto) and a small pokot for "panud-an". I thought too that I can use the baroto for my occasional lake tours and photo shoots of our lake, and perhaps some pamingwit (fishing-rod). While looking around, I was overwhelmed with offers from friends and old colleagues... mostly I can not refuse, not only because they are my friends but because the offers are too low that the gears are almost given free.

I was on a dilemma too because it has been my personal advocacy to protect Lake Mainit especially addressing over-fishing and irresponsible fishing.

I hope that my decision is right. I justified to myself that the Laja (above) and the pokot do catch fish of legal sizes. Small ones just get through the holes. And I swear that this small plan turned into a "business" will be legally registered and should be operating with license.

Kamo an ako konsensiya... uman... payts ra?

Photo: Toto Mosende
Post: Zimm (www.pidjanga.blogspot.com)
May 27, 2007

No comments:

Maradjao karadjao, Pilipinas!

Welcome to the online home of the Pidjangas from the Municipality of Mainit, Surigao del Norte, PHILIPPINES . Pidjanga, Pedianga, Pijanga, Pedjanga... amo ra ton... gikan sa ato danao! For comments and suggestion contact me at pidjanga@gmail.com.

CBCP News: Mining threatens 4th largest freshwater lake in PH

SEVEN are in the town of Mainit, Surigao del Norte... of the 15 exploration permits (EP) that the Regional Office 13 (CARAGA) of the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) of the Environment department approved as of June 30, 2010.

Read more at www.cbcpnews.com and Surigao Today.

If you want to support the protection of Lake Mainit, contact me at pidjangaATgmailDOTcom or 0917-800-4557. Zimm/Peter/Pidjanga

Mainit: Lungsod na Pinayangga

Mainit, Kami Muoli Ra

Surigao Song

Mainit, Our Paraiso